It is sometimes easier for pupils to understand how they
learn in order to process information quickly and effectively, and helps to
know what your preferred learning style is. Neil Fleming’s theory VARK (Visual,
Auditory, Reading and Kinaesthetic) seems to have impressed educators and
pupils, as they allow them to identify how exactly they learn best, and what
they can do in future to insure they are learning at their maximum potential.
For my own experience, I find it hard to concentrate if I were to read a plain
text book for hours on end, especially if I didn’t have the sweet symphonies of
Bach drowning my ears and keeping my thoughts of boredom at bay. This means
that I’m firstly an auditory learner, and a low reading learner. Secondly I
have found that I can process the information that is being presented to me if
I can visually see the information in front of me (e.g. via projections or
diagrams). This means I am able to adapt my surroundings to fit in the way I
learn best, if I were to begin revising for an exam for example, preparations
of using a computer for vibrant, stand out colours would be made, and some
music on low volume playing in the background to keep me interested. This also
means that although you may be stronger in one learning style than the other,
you can be in multiple categories and can now take a test to find out which
learning style is your preferred learning style. However, many dispute the use
of the test and believe that the test could result in wrong information, and
could make you believe that you are a Reader for example, but are actually
Auditory. Articles such as ‘The
Guardian’s’ Could tests to diagnose 'learning styles' do more harm than good? (Kingston, 2004) investigates some of the problems with knowing your learning style,
and has left some wondering, Is it a good thing?
No comments:
Post a Comment